The Angel Who Carried Me


A little over a year ago I started this new journey with My Angel and I did not know where it would take me. I did not know if all of the statistics I heard were going to be true. I did not know how I was going to handle chemotherapy, losing my hair, and learning to ask for and accept help. 

What I did know is that I was not going to let it take over my life. Do not get me wrong, I still had times of frustration, sadness, and anger. What changed during this time is that I did not dwell in those moments.

Two years ago at this time I was depressed and in a state of permanent sadness. I slowly saw myself disappear from the mirror in front of me and what remained was a shell. This shell walked, talked, and pretended to smile. This was when I knew I needed help. I knew I needed to come back and be the person that I was before. Fast forward one year and I find out I have breast cancer and in a strange way, I felt that going through depression helped me get prepared for what I was about to go through. Strangely, I cannot remember a time where I have spent more days laughing, smiling, and truly being happy than I have this past year. 

Some may have found it strange that I would call such a horrible thing My Angel, but it truly was something that changed my life in a way that nothing else ever has. I found my smile again and if you have ever lost it, you know how important it is to find again. 

Last week I went into my CT scan with hope and faith because I have always known God was by my side this entire time. I know that this has a purpose in my life and it is a true testimony of his grace. After one year of endless appointments, laughter, chemotherapy, tears, scans, and smiles I am happy to say that there was not any visible disease remaining in my liver or my breast!! This news overwhelmed me with a type of happiness that was crippling. I felt truly blessed that I was grateful enough to hear this news as many do not. I do not know what my future will hold, but I do know that I have a purpose. I know God is not done with me yet and for that I am grateful and excited to see where My Angel will carry me. 

So what's next... My surgery is scheduled for June 12th and I am excited, terrified, nervous, and thankful. When I became overwhelmed with surgical details and choices yesterday, some friends reminded me that a year ago surgery was not an option for me. With my Stage IV diagnosis, surgery fell off the table as an option. Today I have a surgery date and that is truly a miracle and I am glad that in my time of being overwhelmed and anxious I had people to remind me of where this all was one year ago.

I could go on and on about how thankful I am and what this has meant to me, but I will spare your ear for now! Thanks again for being here with me, whether it was in person or in spirit. Every prayer helped! 

All my love,

Starr

Comments

Popular Posts