New Normal


It has been 33 days since my last treatment of chemotherapy and I am adjusting to what is now my new normal.

I had a new scan and the results were not what I hoped for, but they were good as there was no growth. There was minuscule change in the liver and the breast has not experienced a change. I was hoping for more as the initial 3 cycles showed such a significant difference, but I realize that it is not necessarily going to be the same as it continues. Now I am on a maintenance treatment of Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks without the "chemo" drug. My initial infusion went well and I had minimal symptoms so I am hoping this is how it will remain in the future.

I get to get used to life again, although it is a little different than it was before diagnosis. Getting to be at work full time is fantastic. Not having to plan around being bed-ridden for days after chemo is fantastic. Just feeling good in general is fantastic.

I still have struggles with little thoughts about re-growth, additional spreading, fertility, dating, and any other random thoughts that pop into my head on a daily basis. All in all I try to remain positive about the future and what it holds for me. I know that there is something bigger in this for me and many great things will come from this. I have a new found energetic spirit that I have never had before. I had a fantastic opportunity to speak at the Delicious Designs fundraiser for Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, and Heart Disease and this is something that I never would have been able to do before. It's like I can literally feel myself coming out of a shell and that has been a great feeling through all of this. I have even grown the balls to go on a little vacation and fly all by myself! Anyone that knows me will be shocked by this because they know I don't do these things, but I feel like I have been holding myself back from living life and experiencing all that it has to offer. I'm keeping it to a small weekend trip to Colorado, but I am incredibly excited. Being able to get away, have fun and experience new things will be great!

As always, thanks to everyone for all of the support and love. It is much appreciated and I love you all!

Comments

  1. Stay strong sister. I shared with a support group I belong too. I would like to invite you..Wrapping Ourselves in God's Love.. an African American support group for breast cancer survivor. I'll tag you on Facebook. I also want to gift you with 2 tickets to our first pink dress party nov. 17th. I plan to be at church Sunday otherwise I can meet you somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol! I have a wedding to go to that day, otherwise I would have loved to attend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts