The Comeback Through Crisis




Hey Everyone!

What a year it has been so far!

My Latissimus Dorsi Flap surgery in March went very well! I was blessed enough to have it scheduled when I did as anything later would have been cancelled. The gradual change in the hospital was eerie and there was nothing else on TV other than news regarding Covid. By the time I went home, there were already closings and it all felt surreal.

Luckily I am surrounded by friends and family who are always there to help. This made the healing process much easier during a very difficult time. Although Jim still had to work, circumstances aside, having him home was truly a blessing.

Currently, I am still having my maintenance treatments every 3 weeks to try and keep me NED (No Evidence of Disease). Reconstruction will be a lengthy and slow process. The expander that I have must be filled very slowly to prepare my skin for an implant. Filling it too fast can result in the loss of blood flow to the area, which would put me back in the situation I was in in December and result in another surgery. This entire process has had it's setbacks, but I am grateful for everything. Everything I have been through has helped me be who I am today and appreciate what I have.

This has been a trying period physically, but I would say that it has been tougher emotionally. Dealing with being more susceptible to the Coronavirus and also the racial unrest in the country has been very difficult. I have lost friends over both of these subjects and I hope that does not continue to happen. I know I have made many mistakes in this lifetime and I am not even close to perfect, but I have been raised to be tolerant and use the Golden Rule. There are so many that refuse to do so and that is what I have distanced myself from. We all have our beliefs and sometimes we have to know when they may be insensitive or racist towards others and then make a change.

With all of these factors, I have not been taking care of my body as well as I can and a couple of months ago, I was the highest weight I have ever been. Luckily I have great support in Jim and he has kept me moving. Earlier this year I applied to the Peloton Comeback program which provides a Peloton bike with accessories and a membership. I have heard nothing but great things about the bike and the service and I had a small hope that maybe I could join these communities. I thought my entrance timeframe had passed when I received an email today telling me that I WON!!

https://comeback.onepeloton.com

YOU GUYS I WON!! I am so excited to be able to start working out again and become a healthier person. There are several communities that I have heard about that I cannot wait to join. I hope to be able to update everyone in a couple of months with some weight loss news!

Stay safe and healthy!

Starr

Comments

  1. Congratulations!!! Any point you start is a great starting point! Will keep you in my prayers ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts